Recipe from Sébastien Bouillet
Famous confectioner and chocolate maker in Lyon
To make approximately 100 bugnes.
- Milk: 60ml
- Yeast: 40g
- Flour: 1kg
- Sugar: 180g
- Salt : 10g
- Eggs: 450g
- Rum: 60g
- Honey: 50g
- Butter: 400g
- Lemon zest: 1g
- Orange zest: 1g
- Icing Sugar
- Place the yeast in a bowl, then add the flour, salt and sugar.
- In another recipient, mix together the milk, rum, eggs, honey, and the orange and lemon zest.
- Mix the two preparations to obtain a dough. Knead for around ten minutes by hand until the dough is slightly elastic.
- Next, incorporate the finely diced butter to produce a homogenous dough.
- Leave the dough to rest at room temperature for one hour, then chill in the fridge for around twenty minutes.
- Take the dough from the fridge and roll to a thickness of 5 mm. Cut into 5/5 cm diamond shapes and make a 2 cm long cut in the centre of each one.
- Take one end of the bugne and thread it through the slot, then gently pull each of the ends.
- Heat the oil to 175° and fry the bugnes until golden.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy.